Weekend Autumn Chores

A view to the backyard
from between the Lilac bushes 
 

Here in New England, this past weekend was just spectacular. The trees and shrubs were all a blaze with color.  It was the perfect temperature, not too hot, not too cold, just right for working out in the yard. I spent several hours out there tackling a variety of gardening chores. 

With the threat of frost for Saturday night, first on my list of to dos was to bring in the sensitive plants that I wanted to make sure to overwinter. Armed with clay pots and saucers, potting soil, and my trowel I headed out to transplant a few of the more sensitive plants - coleus and begonias.  Next to be brought into the sunporch were the geraniums and my herbs (basil, mint, flat leaf parsley) from the deck. 

With that dealt with, I went to help with raking up some leaves so my husband could mow the lawn. Then got down to wheeling barrows of mulch to cover spots of the garden I hadn't already gotten to this summer. The work never ends. 

Red Maples full of color

I made my way to the vegetable garden to harvest green beans, yellow summer squash, and cherry tomatoes. I am sorry to say that on Sunday morning the squash plants were goners. Thankfully, we'd enjoyed the last few for dinner the night before. 

'Obedient' plant or false dragonhead in full bloom


At least not everything was impacted by the frost. The marigolds are still bright yellow and orange spots cheerfully dotting the yard. The hardy mums are full of buds, and I await their yellow blooms. And as you can see above,  my patch of 'Obedient' plant aka False Dragonhead, is simply gorgeous! 

Come Sunday night, I was almost glad to know that Monday morning would find me back at work in the studio. My middle aging body can only take so much of the autumn gardening chores at one time. I suppose that's why there is winter so that we can catch up on rest before we start all over again next spring. 




Comments